HS Basketball - Best in OK
- Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 12:03:01 PMI believe these are the best '5' girl's teams by rank in Oklahoma. Where did I miss one?
- Shawnee 21-0 5A
- Anadarko 21-1 4A
- Edmond Santa Fe 21-0 6A
- Snyder 18-2 2A
- Kansas 19-2 3A
- Shawnee 21-0 5A
HS Sports Guru
- Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 06:25:53 PMFrom what I've seen this year Shawnee and Snyder may not even be the best teams in their classes. We'll soon see though.
I would say you have to start a list like that with Santa Fe and Midwest City though.
- Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 09:18:16 PMReally?? Wow, look at The Shawnee schedule. Look who they have played. One, if not the toughest schedule in the state!! 23 -0. Enough said(via mobile)
- Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:46:09 AMAnd without Ramirez. The Wolves are for real!Life is looking a lot better now...baseball season is finally here!
- Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 11:47:22 AMtalent-wise, there is no one in the state that is within 20 points of Santa Fe......realistically, Midwest City has the athletes to play them close, but would have to play a near perfect game and have Santa Fe not play their best...Santa Fe has torn through everyone....they have the single best player (not even close) in the state, the best backcourt (the Graves girl is the best defensive player in the state, and quickest, and Lee and Gonzaque are outstanding scorers).....the only area Santa Fe lacks as far as being outstanding is at post, but their posts are solid.....and there are NO outstanding post players anywhere else, so it isn't a factor.........Shawnee is one of the best defensive teams in the state, and they just don't beat themselves in any area.......it will be interesting to see a match-up with Shawnee and East Central, as Shawnee isn't near as athletic and quick....BUT, the one thing Shawnee has is a solid group of smart, well-coached players, who can handle the ball, pass the ball well (which is a lost art in this state), and they have three solid finishing players (T. Cooper, Grovey, and Yu; Yu might be the most underrated and overlooked player in the state).......the other teams you mention are good relative to their competition....and I love how Snyder plays, but don't think for a minute that OKC Northeast Academy isn't the favorite right now...their athleticism and their skill is pretty impressive.
Coach K Fan
- Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:37:58 PM
- Edmond Santa Fe
- Midwest City
- East Central
- Fort Gibson
- Edmond Memorial
That would be my top 10. Top 9 are for sure picks but for the 10th spot you could go with anyone of these teams Kansas, Synder, Deer Creek, Idabel, BTW, Carl Albert, Durant, and BM.
- Edmond Santa Fe
- Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 01:11:37 PMPeople have Northeast rated pretty high in 2A. Snyder has lost two games and Northeast has lost two games. Snyder lost to Chatty, a team that gave Shawnee a game at Bertha Teague. They have also lost to Darko, by three. Other than that they have blown out every other opponent. While Northeast may be more athletic, basketball is a team game and the Snyder girls have been playing together for quite some time. Most of the seniors have been together since early grade school. As many should have seen last year, talent alone does not win championships. I would put Snyder in the top 5. Many of you also left out Chatty, which has lost two games to Snyder and one to Shawnee. Both #1 in their classes. I know that the favorites will always be the larger schools from the larger classes, but the smaller schools are just as good.
- Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 03:19:08 PMthe smaller top schools play hard, are well-coached, and do a great job...no one is slighting them......BUT....in all of your scenarios, even close games, THEY LOST....that is the point.....Again, I LOVE how Snyder plays, but Northeast also plays well together, but the schedule they play is as difficult with some game, and as easy in some games...but always physically demanding. Snyder could repeat just as easily as not......but, it's foolish to not think that Northeast has the talent on paper to be discarded, just because Snyder beat Millwood last year......be careful in not giving Northeast enough credit, just because you believe in Snyder..........btw...I probably know as much about Chatty as you do, if not more, in many ways......and Class A is pretty wide-open in my opinion.....Shawnee is tough, and is going to win most games, especially any grind-it-out game, because they are so tough defensively and so disciplined.....but make no mistake about it......Snyder, Chatty...throw in a few others if you wish....they are NOT beating Shawnee on ANY day....when push comes to shove, Shawnee would simply stifle them...that's the difference, in today's world....20 years ago, I could not have made that statement...20 years ago, the Lomega's and Colbert's and other small school powers COULD beat the 4A/5A (there was no 6A when I am referring to) teams at the top.........that won't happen any longer...Hydro-Eakley was the last small-school team to accomplish such feats, and they are likely the last one to do it in a very long time....the game has changed, and the make-up of schools in rural areas has changed. That doesn't mean those small school top teams can't play. OU has a very good team, but Baylor is simply that much better, period! It happens.
- Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 05:13:00 PMScott.. I agree with you about the Lomegas and Colberts. The 76-79 Colbert team and the 79-83(I think) Thomas team with Kelli Litsch were outstanding. The 79 Colbert team was the best I have ever seen in girls BB in any class. I believe they finished 36-0 that season and beat Thomas in the finals which was Litschs' fr. year. Telling how old I am if I can remember those days!!
HS Sports Guru
- Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 12:14:25 AM
Really?? Wow, look at The Shawnee schedule. Look who they have played. One, if not the toughest schedule in the state!! 23 -0. Enough said(via mobile)
Yes, Shawnee is really good. That's why we have them ranked number one, but I've also seen East Central and I wouldn't say Shawnee is a whole lot better than the Lady Cardinals.
Same goes for Class 2A with Snyder and Northeast. Snyder is obviously really good and as Scott said I wouldn't just say they are better than Northeast because they beat Millwood last year. At least from what I've seen of Northeast, I think they shoot the ball better as a team than that Millwood team did.